Finally!!!

I have not been able to access this blog is weeks. Months! I don't know why, but I hope that whatever the problem was, it's gone now. So.....hello again! Lets' get right to it.

Legalized Marijuana: Yea or Nay?  I say YEA!

Now please keep in mind that I have never smoked a joint--ever. It just has never been my thing. Personally it does not appeal to me. But I think it should be legal to sell, buy, and use. As a rule, alcohol doesn't appeal to me either, and it's legal already.

Now marijuana either appeals to you or it doesn't. Just because it's made legal, trust me, I am not going to suddenly develop a desire for it and run out to buy it. I don't think anyone else will either. There are many good reasons for legalizing marijuana, but here are my main reasons.

1. Government revenue. Not just a sales tax, either. Growers should purchase a license to grow it. No license, no growing. That should be the law. Anyone caught growing without a license would be subject to prosecution. Stores selling it should have to obtain a license to sell--just like a bar has to have a liquor license to sell liquor. So there are three ways to attract revenue--growing, selling, and purchasing.

2.  Law Enforcement. Our police forces across the country are overburdened with crimes from petty marijuana possession to murder. If marijuana were legal, they could spend more time worrying about the bigger crimes. 

3. Jobs.  There will be grow inspectors needed, as well as people added to licensing departments. Then there would be a need for store inspectors, checking that the store is properly weighing and selling the goods, calibrating the scales, and making sure that the marijuana is properly displayed and stored.

4.  Eliminating the Bad Elements. Well, maybe not all of them, but certainly hurting some of their business. 

Years ago, we learned that prohibition just doesn't work. Making alcohol or marijuana illegal just puts the money into the hands of illegal operators.

Will it be a solution to America's drug problem? NO. But it's a start. Of course there will be drawbacks. Even though it would still be illegal to drive under the influence, it would be much harder to tell if a person is high. I say adjust the rules there and let a police officer determine if a blood test is required based on the scent of marijuana coming from the car and if the driver has red or bloodshot eyes.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK......... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeb Bush--How Dare You!!

Government Shutdown

What is Happening?